Wednesday 24 December 2014

LRP & Anxiety?

I have been a part of the live action role playing community in the UK since the tender age of three, when I went along to my first FnH event. I became a bigger part of the community when I hit 15 and started attending events again, and I can actually remember them this time! In the past three years I have attended systems with a range of genres extending from fantasy to steampunk.

Side on shield wall

The systems I have attended have also varied in size, I've attended events with 9 players and events with 60 players. This causes some interesting patterns of anxiety for me, patterns that don't make any sense to me. I have found that when I attend events filled with people I have known for years my anxiety is worse. I believe it's because I find it harder to put on a character, and by extension a persona, in front of people who know me particularly well. I recently started playing norsemen (see picture above) and the event is mostly filled with people I have known for a few months. I find it much easier to absorb myself into a character when the people I am with do not know every last thing about me. I feel like it sets me free. If I want to shout, I can shout. I don't feel the same restrictions with new friends as I do with older ones and I really can't explain why.

LRP is not something I would think I'd do well in. How am I supposed to pretend to be a hero when I can't even pretend to be calm? But I am not someone to look a gift horse in the mouth, I am incredibly glad that I can go to LRP events at all. These events helped me in some dark times, and I believe that I am a better person for it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment